2012-04-01

snowing up

I mean really, the snow is just floating in the air, with lots of the snowflakes actually going up instead of down. On April 1st. And I assure you it's no April Fools' joke.

Anyway, yesterday, in a rare half hour of sunshine, we managed to snap photos of the not-so-secret quilt. Dad insisted on holding the quilt himself.



I experimented with the quilting a bit, so most of the wavy lines are machine quilted with various polyester threads as the top thread



and neutral cotton as the bobbin thread. The rest of the lines, placed randomly in between, are hand quilted, also with various colours of polyester thread but I used double thread (is it what you call it?) to make it stand out a bit more.


As for the design, I wanted to create a kind of slightly choppy waves effect.This also meant that I didn't have to worry about matching the blocks, but instead just enjoy piecing the curves and then trimming the blocks down to the same size but not necessarily the same top and bottom width of the waves, if you know what I mean.
If you are interested in making something similar and would like to know more details I'll gladly share them.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, this is really amazing Agnieszka! I'm in awe! Your skills are awesome. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, its truly fabulous! I love it :-) Must be one hell of a happy dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is just stunning! It is clear your father loves it too! I love the colours and the colour progressions. Also the quilting is beautiful, both machine and hand quilting. It is snowing at my house this morning too, big wet flakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow it is so so beautiful! the curved piecing is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous! The more I look the more I like.

    ReplyDelete