Last weekend proved to be very sewing-friendly, so I finally managed to sew the Tova I planned as the final version.
But let's start with my trial version:
Apart from the placket, which is just a bit tricky, it sews really easy (please note this is the first ever top I've sewn and a second garment after the skirt, so I hope this sounds encouraging for other sewing newbies).
There are no cuffs, as I wanted to see how this would change the look of the Tova. It looks quite OK I think, also quite well with the sleeves folded up, but in the end I decided to stick to cuffs in the final version.
The other thing I bravely did was to adjust the pattern slightly, so that the top starts in one size and finishes in the next one, if you know what I mean. (I have a sitting job after all).
It fits and the cotton is nice and light, so although this flowery pattern and the colours are really not me, I'm going to wear it in summer.
And now for the final Echo Tova:
I just couldn't resist adding some of French general fabric to the inside of the collar and the cuffs. And as somehow not knowing how to sew makes me more brave than I am with the skills I learnt properly, I made the cuffs wider and split (I'm not sure if you call them that) and I also made splits on the sides of the Tova, to make it even more comfortable.
Of course I'm not brave enough to show you a proper photo of myself wearing it, but just to prove that it does fit me:
In case you'd like to try sewing your own and could use a little help, Kerry has put up a page with a list of all the sew-a-long posts here.