2012-03-03

does it happen to you?

Sometimes you see something and have this sudden urge to create a quilt (an illustration, a photo...) based on what you see. And you can't stop thinking - maybe not continuously, maybe it just pops up from time to time, but you keep returning to the idea until you finally make it.

One autumn morning, when I was passing our local pub, I looked at the wooden deck, where they put tables in summer. The tables were already removed and as the morning was quite cold, the boards where covered in frost. I also noticed a few withered leaves on the deck, white with frost too.
That image kept coming back to me until I finally put it into a mini quilt. I think I'm calling it First Frost, even if it doesn't look that frosty.


And a bit of detail:

The shape and colour of the leaf was to be different, but in the end I just couldn't resist the temptation of trying to act on another inspiration - Shaun Tan's The Red Tree picture book.

On a more technical note - the mini is 11,5" x 16" and as you can probably guess apart from cotton I used bits of linen, too.

P.S. Two-colour binding as suggested by my sister :) 

I'm linking this to:

Modern Mini Challenge


Hope to see your entries there, too.

18 comments:

  1. that is so gorgeous! Good luck with the contest :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful - love the mix of neutrals and the leaf. Gorgeous mini!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! I think you have captured a wooden deck at first frost wonderfully, I have seen such a deck. I love the quilting and the leaf is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i LOVE it! beautiful work. i can just imagine it in real life too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous and I love the story of the inspiration that led to you creating it. Great entry into the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is mini quilt perfection. one of my favorites on the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful! It's so restful. Lovely. I once made a quilt inspired by a sidewalk : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so peaceful and beautiful. I really adore this quilt you have made. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the two color binding (sisters are great for those suggestions!) and the quilting. lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's really beautiful, and I love the way you have quilted it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilt - love the quilting and all of the different textures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your inspiration and your mini turned out just amazing! Thanks so much for entering the Modern Mini Challenge! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful mini, the two colour binding is striking. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful! Looks so soft and warm :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You created such a word picture when describing that deck. The mini is a lovely interpretation. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete