2014-04-19

swimming stars

well, maybe not exactly swimming, but resting on sandy shallows, with little waves washing over them - this is the picture I had in mind when I was making this baby quilt:


I wanted to sew a wonky stars quilt ever since I saw Susan's quilt, but somehow never had an opportunity until now.
I'm really happy with how it turned out, and sewing with blues and greens was refreshing after all the brown. 





It was also the first time I tried machine binding by stitching the binding to the front first, folding it over and stitching from the front close the binding, so that the stitch catches the folded binding on the back. (OK, I hope you know what I mean because I'm not sure how to explain it more clearly and I can't seem to find any tutorial for this method now). It wasn't as scary as I'd imagined and there were only a few places that needed restitching, so I'm glad I tried. I think I'll use it from time to time, but the look (and the process) of hand stitched binding will remain my favourite.

There is one more green and blue quilt I've finished, but I still need to photograph it.

In the meantime, let me wish you:



7 comments:

  1. I love the colours you've used. They are so calming. It's a beautiful finish, and thank you for mentioning my wee quilt. I'd almost forgotten about making it. Maybe I should do a bigger version one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty floors in your stars and the quilting is lovely. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Siedzisz tak cichutko, rzadko się odzywasz na blogu, ale jednak co chwilę pokazujesz jakiś fajny skończony quilt. Super!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a fabulous baby quilt. The quilting is splendid! Love

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. I love wonky stars and yours are so cheerful and lovely. I remember when I started quilting and wanted to make sure the background all matched, your quilt is a perfect example of how much interest and texture a varied background brings to a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Śliczny! A to niebanalne pikowanie dodaje mu mnóstwo uroku! :)

    ReplyDelete